Women's Leadership and Diversity Council
The New York State Economic Development Council (NYSEDC) has witnessed a shift in economic development leadership, with more than 20 organizations appointing female leaders at the local level. Additionally, women in entry-level and middle management positions in economic development organizations has risen drastically, the first step to a long career path in economic development. While we have also seen an increase in diversity amongst economic development leadership, still remains much work to be done to engage more in the economic development process.
To meet the growing professional needs of the economic development community, the NYSEDC is launching the NYSEDC Women’s Leadership and Diversity Council (WLDC), a program designed to promote the role of women and minorities in the economic development field in New York State (NYS) and provide participants with the tools and skills for active leadership roles in their communities. In its first year, the WLDC will develop guidelines and implement a mentorship program, create networking opportunities focusing on technical assistance, professional development, and societal challenges programming.
Leadership Development Programming
- Technical Assistance: Project management, downtown revitalization, infrastructure development, brownfield remediation, and other economic development specific skills.
- Professional Development: Strategic planning, board management, human resources, finance, marketing, and media relations.
- Societal Challenges: diversity, equity, and inclusion; climate change and clean energy; civil unrest; managing and leading through an evolving and often polarized society; and gaining back the public’s trust.
- Monthly or bi-monthly Webinars
- Periodic small group round table discussions
- Breakout sessions at the NYSEDC Economic Development Conference and NYSEDC Annual Meeting
- Recruit Mentors and Proteges will be paired for small group mentorship
- Groups of 2-4 participants
- Mentors will be paired with groups of proteges
- Young professionals will be paired with more experienced ones
- Monthly scheduled mentorship meetings to discuss topics highlighted in Leadership Development Program
Linda J. Hill Women's Leadership and Diversity Council Scholarship Program
- Offer two scholarships each year. Click here for the Linda J. Hill Scholarship Program Application
- Applicants must have a letter of recommendation from a NYSEDC member.
- Program open to women, aspiring economic developers, and applicants representing underserved communities
Benefits of the Scholarship Program
- Scholarship will cover the cost of taking the NYSEDC Basic Economic Development Course
- Scholarship will cover the cost of registration for NYSEDC IDA Academies
- Participate in Council Programming
- Participate in Mentorship Program
- Build Professional Network with WLDC Members
Program Powered by the following Sponsors